Partake French Onion Soup
- prep time15 min
- total time 100 min
- serves 2
Mais oui, this French soup is jam packed with flavour and tasty goodness. C’est merveilleux!
2 kg onions, peeled & thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups (500 mL) red wine
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic
4 L vegetable stock (or your favourite beef stock)
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp (30 mL) Herb de Provence
to taste salt and pepper to tasteParsley Butter
1 bunch parsley
2 Tbsp (30 mL) garlic
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh herbs
1 lb(s) (454 g) salted butter
to taste salt, to tasteSoup Assembly & Garnish
1 baguette, sliced
Parsley butter, reserved
Onion soup, pre-cooked
2 - 3 oz grated Swiss cheese per person
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chives, finely sliced
1. In a large heavy pot, slowly sweat the onions with salt and oil over low heat.
2. Stir constantly until the onions start to caramelize or turn brown. This step is important to bring out the flavour of the onion. Be patient as this should take roughly 40 minutes. When onions are completely caramelized, and appear transparent, deglaze the pot with a splash of red wine.
3. Add the garlic, vegetable stock, bay leaves, Herb de Provence and balance of the red wine.
4. Allow all the flavours to simmer together on low heat for 30 minutes. Add salt, pepper and season to taste.Parsley Butter
1. Combine all ingredients and whip together. Salt and pepper to taste. Reserve for soup assembly.Soup Assembly & Garnish
1. Slice baguette to crostini size. Brush finished parsley butter onto the crostini-sized baguette pieces.
2. Bake the baguette slices in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
3. Ladle the finished soup into an oven-safe soup bowl. Leave enough room to top with cheese and crostini.
4. Top the soup with the toasted crostini and Swiss cheese. Gratin in the oven on high heat until cheese appears golden brown, roughly 8 minutes.
5. Carefully remove bowl from oven and garnish the soup with chives and serve.
This soup is always better the next day, and you can freeze the remaining soup.
Courtesy of Partake.
See more: Soup