Radish & Rose Soup
- prep time20 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 4 - 6
This Radish & Rose soup has just climbed to the top of the bucket list. Who knew that this root vegetable could deliver such a fresh, rich and slurp-worthy soup?
¼ lb(s) radish greens
1 Tbsp (15 mL) toasted pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup (59 mL) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Salt, to tasteRadish Soup
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 leek, white part only, washed and finely chopped
1 ½ lbs (681g) red spring radishes, washed and halved, plus extra for garnish
4 cups (1L) chicken stock
½ tsp (2 mL) rose water
1 cup (225 mL) of fresh rose petals (if possible)Garnish & Plating
Organic rose petals, unsprayed and fragrant
1. Combine ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth.Radish Soup
1. Over low heat, melt butter in a nonreactive, heavy-bottomed skillet.
2. Add onion, shallot and leek and sauté for 20 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add radishes, rose petals and stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer. Cover for 8 to 10 minutes or until radishes have softened.
4. Transfer mixture, in batches, to a blender and purée until smooth.
5. Add rose water and season with salt (it brings out the savoury flavour from the stock).Garnish & Plating
1. Pour soup into bowls, garnish with a dollop of radish green pesto, sliced radishes and rose petals. Drizzle oil over soup and serve.
Courtesy of Bruce Naftaly, Marmite