Spicy Scallion and Mozzarella Pretzel
- prep time120 min
- total time 150 min
- serves 8
This pretzel is drizzled in mozzarella, hot sauce, scallions and brushed with garlic butter before being pulled apart to perfection every time.
4 ½ cups (625 g) all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) Kosher salt
1 package (7 g) instant yeast
1 ½ cups (343 mL) water, warm (110 to 115ºF)
60 g unsalted butter, melted
Oil, for bowlAlkaline Solution
8 cups (64 oz) water
½ cup (118 mL) baking sodaToppings
¼ cup (60 mL) hot sauce
2 cups (450 mL) Mozzarella, shredded
½ cup (118 mL) scallions, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp (45 mL) garlic butter, melted
1. In a stand mixer bowl, combine flour, white sugar, salt and instant yeast. Lightly mix for 30 seconds.
2. Slowly add the water and butter to the mixing bowl and continue blending until dough consistency starts to form. Mix dough with the appropriate stand attachment for roughly 6-8 minutes or until its smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
3. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl & let rise at room temperature. Dough should double in size, in approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Once dough has risen, refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Next, preheat oven to 450ºF.Alkaline Solution
1. In a large pot, stove top, bring 8 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
2. While alkaline solution is heating, divide dough into 8 portions.
3. Roll out each piece of dough into a 30-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet pan.
4. Individually and carefully dip each pretzel into the boiling alkaline solution for 30 seconds. Use a large spatula to lift the pretzel dough from the solution and back onto the half sheet pan.Toppings
1. Brush hot sauce onto each pretzel.
2. Generously sprinkle each with mozzarella and sliced scallions.
3. Next, bake the pretzels in a pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes, until cheese and pretzels are golden brown.
4. Let cool for 5 minutes before brushing with garlic butter and serving.
Courtesy of Zwick’s Pretzels.
See more: Cheese