For the Hot Chocolate Sauce
1. Make the Hot Chocolate Sauce first so it has a chance to cool and thicken. Measure the cream, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, allspice and hot sauce into a saucepot and whisking constantly bring to a full simmer. Whisk in the chocolate until a smooth sauce forms. Pour the works into a jar and refrigerate until thick.
For the Flaming Bananas
1. If you haven’t flambéed before, practice beforehand. Use a small amount of rum in a pan of sizzling butter – without the sugar and bananas – so you’ll know what to expect when prime time rolls around.
2. Preheat your largest heaviest skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Toss in the butter swirling gently as it melts and sizzles. Add the brown sugar and continue swirling as the sugar melts. Add the bananas and swirl, stir and flip until they’re evenly coated and sizzling merrily, 3 or 4 minutes. Rum up!
3. For a Gas Stove: Extend your arm, swing the sizzling pan away from the flame and tilt the far edge of the pan down and away from you. Pour the rum into the bottom corner with the bananas. Keeping your arm safely extended swing the works back to the flame until it ignites.
4. For an Electric Stove: Pour the rum into the bananas as above. Ignite by holding the edge of the sizzling pan near a candle or BBQ lighter.
For Finish and Flourish
1. Hold steadily as flame and applause erupt. Sauté as the flames die down, just a few moments longer, swirling the pan sauce together. Enthusiastically and extravagantly build banana splits with ice cream, bananas, Hot Chocolate sauce and your choice of embellishments!