- serves 6
1 cup (250 mL) water, warm
1 tsp (5 mL) instant yeast
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) pastry flour
1 ½ cup 375 mL all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) diced bacon
1 cup (250 mL) sour cream, 14 %
1 cup (250 mL) sliced onion
to taste salt and fresh milled black pepper
1. For dough, blend together warm water and yeast and allow to stand 5 minutes until a froth develops. Add salt and flours and mix with a wooden spoon until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, until dough has an eleastic texture. Cover and allow to rise 20 minutes in a warm area.
2. To make tarte, pre-heat oven to 425 °F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Cover bacon with cold water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and drain. This step takes out extra salt and fat from the bacon and allows it to crisp up on the tarte without burning.
4. Cut dough into 4 equal portions and dust lightly with flour. Roll as thinly as possible into a rectangle about the size of a legal sheet (11” x 14”) and place on prepared baking tray. Spread ¼ of the sour cream over the surface of the dough. Top with ¼ each of the bacon and sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake in the oven 8 minutes then slide the parchment off the cookie sheet directly onto the oven rack and cook 3 minutes further, until the crust is gold brown and crispy.
6. Slide tart onto a cutting board and cut in half lengthwise, then into 6 widthwise, to equal 12 small portions.
7. Make the remaining three while you snack on the first one!