By Elizabeth Lampman
My Buffalo Chicken Mac ’n’ Cheese is a flavourful twist on a classic recipe. I took my mom’s delicious macaroni and cheese recipe and ran with it to create a true taste sensation. This recipe combines all the comfort of mac ’n’ cheese with the addictive flavour of Buffalo chicken wings.
I didn’t just add a little heat – I also included the blue cheese that I love so much when paired with my wings. It really helps to tame the heat and adds another dimension of flavour.
It’s incredible how much this Buffalo Chicken Mac ’n’ Cheese takes me right back to my college days, when I’d go out with my friends to watch a hockey game, eat some wings and have a good time.
My kids can’t really handle a lot of heat in their food, but it is easy to split the recipe and omit the buffalo sauce from their portion. Bake it separately in a small casserole dish.
Buffalo Chicken Mac ’n’ Cheese, Courtesy of Elizabeth Lampman, frugalmomeh.com, Hamilton, Ont.
Whether it’s game night or just a family dinner, this familiar dish (with a bit of heat) is sure to be a crowd favourite.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
Yield: 6 servings
4 cups (1 L) macaroni
1 cup (250 mL) milk
1/2 to 3/4 package old cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups (300 mL) Buffalo wing sauce, divided
2 cups (500 mL) shredded Salerno peperonato cheese
1 cup (250 mL) cubed cooked chicken
1 cup (250 mL) crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
2. Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, scald milk. Remove from heat.
4. Add cheddar cheese to hot milk, stirring until melted. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) Buffalo wing sauce.
5. Pour cheese sauce into the bottom of 13- x 9-inch (3 L) casserole dish.
6. Fill casserole dish with alternating layers of macaroni, peperonato cheese and chicken, finishing with layer of cheese.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese topping is lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven; top with reserved Buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is slightly melted.
Frugal Mom Eh!
Elizabeth is an IT professional turned stay-at-home mom and Canadian mom blogger. Look to Frugal Mom Eh! for delicious recipes for your family, brilliant DIY and craft projects for all ages, travel tips and great parenting advice.