Next time you’re hosting a game-day feast or party during the cold-weather months, try serving this creative spin on a comfort-food classic.
Everyone loves a grilled cheese sandwich, but the addition of bacon, mustard and cherry tomatoes are what sets this dish apart from the rest. To really take this already delicious dish up a notch, we’re serving it a with mini tomato soup sipper that’s spiked with a touch of beer. Comfort food at its best!
Tomato & Beer Soup Shooters
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 16 servings
3 Tbsp butter
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup beer
2 cups strained tomatoes (passata)
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
Pinch granulated sugar
3 Tbsp sour cream or crème fraiche
2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or chives
1. In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic, stirring often, until soft and starting to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Deglaze with beer. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until beer is almost evaporated, 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to simmer; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. (Tip: Let cool slightly. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. Reheat before continuing.)
4. Transfer sour cream into small sandwich baggie. Pour soup into shot glasses or small demi-tasse cups. Snip tiny piece of corner from baggie and squeeze a small drizzle of sour cream over top of soup shooters. Sprinkle with tarragon.
Note: Make sure you choose a not-too-bitter beer, preferably from a local microbrewery, such as a malty ale or Belgian-style wheat beer.
Mini Bacon Grilled Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 16 sandwiches
1 baguette, sliced into 32, 1/2-inch thick slices
1/4 cup softened butter
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
11/4 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese (125 g)
8 slices cooked bacon, sliced into 4 pieces each
8 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Spread butter over top of 16 baguette slices. Arrange, butter-side down on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread tops with Dijon mustard. Sprinkle cheese over half of the pieces; top each with 1 bacon piece.
3. Spread butter on remaining 16 baguette slices, topping each cheese and bacon-covered piece with an un-topped slice, butter-side up.
4. Bake turning once, until golden and cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Skewer each sandwich with a tomato half with a toothpick.
6. Serve with Tomato & Beer Soup Shooters.