As decadent as a meal can get, this cheesy, beefy, buttery pastry roll will be the star of the show at your next gathering. It’s super easy to make and yields an impressive presentation, perfect for entertaining kids and adults alike!
To create this marriage of two comfort foods — a juicy cheeseburger and creamy mac and cheese — frozen puff pastry dough is filled with a mixture of macaroni noodles, beef, cheddar cheese and spinach, then braided to secure all the ingredients in place. It’s then baked until the filling is bubbly and the pastry is a flaky, golden brown. Don’t be intimidated by the braiding — we promise you’ll have it mastered in no time!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
1/2 cup cooked ground beef
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed thoroughly to remove excess water
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 cups homemade or prepared macaroni and cheese (use ½ cup less milk than called for in the recipe if homemade), room temperature or slightly chilled
1 sheet frozen pre-rolled puff pastry, defrosted
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp fine grain salt
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
1 cup prepared tomato sauce, warmed
1. Add cooked and cooled ground beef to a large bowl along with spinach, cheese and macaroni and cheese. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To place puff pastry sheet in the centre of prepared baking sheet. In the middle of the pastry, form prepared beef and noodle filling into a (approximately) 3×6-inch x 2-inch-high rectangle.
3. On long sides of pastry, make 8 slices (flaps for braiding).
4. Tuck top and bottom ends of pastry over filling. Starting at the top, cross two flaps on opposites sides. Repeat with remaining flaps, making sure there are no large gaps where filling can be seen (a few holes are okay). Tuck in any stray scraps.
5. Keep the roll straight or using your hands, gently curve roll.
6. Brush top of roll with mustard and sprinkle with salt.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden brown. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes (so filling doesn’t all fall out when slicing).
1. Using a large flat spatula, transfer roll to a serving platter. Slice and serve with tomato sauce for dipping.
Looking for more comfort food favourites? Check out these satisfying snacks across Canada.