Sometimes you need a show-stopping dessert, and this rhubarb tart takes the cake! It may require a little more time than your typical tart but the result is well worth the effort. Tender, sweet spring rhubarb shines like jewels over a lovely light almond and ricotta filling. Just like a lattice-topped pie, you may need a slice of patience to assemble this impressive dessert.
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
1 cup flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp or more cold water
5-6 stalks of fresh rhubarb
1/4 cup apple jelly
Ricotta Almond Centre:
1 cup extra smooth ricotta
2/3 cup almond meal
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
1. In a food processor mix flours, salt and sugar. Add in butter and pulse until butter is evenly dispersed into pea-size pieces. Add vinegar and pulse. Run the food processor as you add water tsp by tsp through the spout on the top. Dough will come together into a smooth ball.
2. Roll out dough on a floured surface until dough a circle about 12 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Place rolled out dough into the tart pan and gently press into and up sides. Discard excess dough. Poke the surface of the dough with a fork. Place a piece of parchment over dough and place baking weights over top. Bake until edges of crust begin to turn golden, about 12 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and remove baking weights and parchment. Return to oven until crust is golden, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. Decrease oven temperature to 350°F. Slice rhubarb along a mandolin into long, thin strips. Set the strips on a flat surface and form a lattice pattern with rhubarb by weaving strips over and under each other. Continue to weave until a square forms 9 inches wide. Trace a circle 8.5 inches over lattice. Cut out circle carefully ensuring to keep lattice intact. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl, whisk ricotta with almond meal, sugar, almond extract, salt, and egg together until combined. Transfer mixture into the tart shell. Smooth over surface and spread into an even layer. Lift the rhubarb lattice circle and place over ricotta mixture.
7. Microwave apple jelly for 15 seconds and brush over rhubarb. Bake in oven until rhubarb is tender and ricotta mixture is set, about 25 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Looking for more spectacular spring recipes? Try these 20 Fresh and Beautiful Rhubarb Recipes.