Sweet and salty, and inspired by a time-honoured ballpark snack, these decadent brownies are sure to satisfy. The salty peanut butter pretzel crust makes for an unexpected and welcome contrast to the dense dark chocolate brownie topping. A drizzle of melted white chocolate adds an extra later of sweetness and decadence.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Peanut Butter Pretzel Crust:
2 cups fine pretzel crumbs (from 6 heaping cups whole pretzels)
1/4 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter (natural or regular will both work)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
9 whole small or medium-sized pretzels
1/3 cup white chocolate chips, melted
Peanut Butter Pretzel Crust :
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil.
2. In a large bowl, mix all pretzel crumb ingredients until fully combine.
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt, followed by eggs. Gradually mix in flour until fully combined.
2. Tightly pack into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
3. Pour brownie batter over prepared pretzel crust and smooth out top.
4. Place 9 pretzels over surface of brownies, so each brownie will have 1 pretzel.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the brownie portion comes out with slightly sticky with a few damp chocolate crumbs.
6. Cool in pan for 30 minutes.
1. Cut brownies into squares, using the whole pretzel as your guide, for 9 brownies.
2. Drizzle each brownie with white chocolate.
3. Serve immediately or allow chocolate to harden, about 30 minutes. Once chocolate has set, store leftovers airtight in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.