We didn’t think mac and cheese could get any better, but enter: peameal bacon! Take the deliciousness of the classic pasta dish — macaroni smothered in ooey, gooey cheese — then top that with a crunchy cornmeal crumble. It doesn’t get better than this.
Peameal Bacon Mac and Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2-1/2 cups macaroni noodles
2 Tbsp panko crumbs
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 Tbsp cornmeal
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1-1/2 cups cubed peameal bacon
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water with 1 Tbsp salt until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Combine panko crumbs, parmesan and cornmeal in a small bowl. Work in one Tbsp butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
3. Preheat broiler. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp butter, then the bacon. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
4. Melt 1/4 cup butter in the same pot over medium-low. Whisk in flour until mixture forms a paste, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce has slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in cheese, cayenne and mustard. Stir in pasta and bacon. Scrape mixture into an oven-safe baking dish. Top with cornmeal mixture. Broil in centre of oven until top is golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
Looking for more mouth watering recipes? Try our 10 Perfect Peameal Bacon Recipes.