1. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Place 4 (4 oz.) ramekins in a baking dish.
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat cream, maple syrup, vanilla, rum and salt until steaming and small bubbles appear around the edges. Add egg yolks to a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in cream mixture to yolks. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher with a pour spout. Divide mixture between ramekins.
3. Add ½ inch of hot water to the base of the baking dish so it surrounds the ramekins.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until mixture wobbles when tapped and is just set. Cool for 30 minutes at room temperature then for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
5. To serve, evenly divide ¼ cup of sugar between the ramekins. Using a blowtorch or rotating under a medium-high broiler, caramelize sugar. Rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
Source and Credits
Recipe courtesy of Allison Day