Black Bottom Pecan Pie
- prep time30 min
- total time 150 min
- serves 8
Black Bottom is named after the dark and swampy lands along the Mississippi river. The Black Bottom Pecan Pie is one of the most popular pies in the bakery!
1 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup pastry flour
⅔ cup cocoa powder
⅔ cup icing sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup waterPecan Pie Filling
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup corn syrup
⅔ cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
⅓ cup brandy
¼ cup butter, melted
1 ½ cups pecan halvesPecan Pie Topping
½ cup whipping cream
4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Using a food processor or a pastry blender and a large bowl, combine the butter, flour, pastry flour, cocoa, icing sugar and salt until crumbly and beginning to clump.
3. Add in water and combine until mixture just comes together. Do not over process.
4. Press into a 10 x 1 1/4 inch flan pan with removable bottom.
5. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Fill pan with foil and beans or pie weights.
7. Bake for 15 minutes until firm. Remove the foil and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
8. Let pie crust cool and prepare the filling.Pecan Pie Filling
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Using a large bowl and electric mixer or whisk, beat the eggs, both sugars, salt and syrup together until combined but not frothy.
3. Stir in the whipping cream, vanilla, brandy, melted butter and pecans.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared crust.
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the filling is set and slightly puffed in the centre.
6. Remove from oven and let pie cool completely.Pecan Pie Topping
1. On medium heat in a small saucepan bring the whipping cream to a gentle boil.
2. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the chocolate until it melts completely.
3. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
4. Add the corn syrup and stir until smooth.
5. Allow mixture to cool and slightly thicken, but it should stay very shiny.
6. Using a teaspoon, dot the topping over the cooled pie and swirl decoratively.
7. Serve the pie at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Courtesy of Wanda Beaver, Wanda’s Pie in the Sky