Caramel Peanut Popcorn by Crave Cupcakes
- prep time15 min
- total time 30 min
Mushroom popcorn pops perfectly round and ensures a more even coat of caramel.
¾ cup mushroom popcorn kernelsCaramel
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
1 cup butter
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla
1. Pop 3/4 cup of mushroom style popcorn kernels (should yield approximately 10 cups popcorn).
2. Place the popped popcorn and 1 1/4 cups peanuts into a large greased bowl.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF.Caramel
1. Place all the caramel ingredients in a medium size saucepan.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 235ºF.
3. Immediately remove caramel from heat.
4. Pour hot caramel over the popcorn and peanuts while tossing with a spatula to ensure popcorn is evenly coated.
5. Spread the popcorn mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake the popcorn in the oven for 8 minutes.
7. Remove popcorn from the oven and toss with a spatula to ensure popcorn is evenly coated.
8. Return popcorn to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until the caramel is deep golden brown.
9. Allow popcorn to cool completely before eating on its own, or using it as cupcake topping.
Courtesy of Caroylne McIntyre & Jodi Willoughby, Crave Cupcakes