You may not believe it, but Ree Drummond has taken everything you love about chicken fajitas and created a healthy, family-sized meal salad that will please your eyes and your taste buds. Once you’ve grilled your chicken, bell pepper and corn, arrange them on a bed of romaine and butter lettuce along with avocado, lime and Cotija cheese, then finish it with a homemade cilantro-lime dressing. It’s a simple yet impressive dish that will let you show off your presentation skills. Make The Pioneer Woman’s chicken fajita salad the centerpiece on your dinner table tonight, and watch your family devour every morsel!
Ree Drummond’s Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
Total Time: 50 minutes
Fajita Mix Ingredients:
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing the grill
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 red bell peppers, quartered
2 yellow bell peppers, quartered
3 ears corn, silks and husks removed, halved crosswise
3 avocados, halved and pitted
1/2 lime, for squeezing
Cilantro Lime Dressing Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp lime zest plus 1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 head romaine lettuce, leaves separated
1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
1 bunch fresh cilantro sprigs, whole
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
4 limes, halved crosswise
1 wheel cotija cheese, broken into large chunks
Fajita Mix Directions:
1. Mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a bowl.
1. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat and brush with olive oil.
2. Sprinkle a third of the fajita mix over one side of the chicken breasts. Place the chicken seasoned-side down on the grill and sprinkle another third of the fajita mix over the top of the chicken. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side; this will depend on the size of the breasts. Remove the chicken to a baking sheet to cool.
3. While the chicken is cooling, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the remaining fajita mix to a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Add the peppers and toss to coat. Place the peppers on the grill and cook, turning to get good grill marks, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to the baking sheet to cool.
4. Brush the corn with the last 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange the corn on the grill and cook, turning frequently, until cooked and brown, about 10 minutes total. Remove to a plate to cool.
5. Slice the chicken crosswise but keep the slices together. Slice the avocado crosswise, keeping the slices together like the chicken. Squeeze a bit of lime juice over top to prevent the slices from browning.
Cilantro Lime Dressing Directions:
1. Add the olive oil, cilantro, lime zest and juice, salt and chili flakes to a mason jar and shake until emulsified.
1. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large board or platter. Cluster the chicken breast slices, avocado slices and peppers among the leaves. Tuck in the corn cobs here and there and do the same with the sprigs of cilantro. It should look more free-form than composed. Add the tomatoes, limes halves and chunks of cheese in the same way. Drizzle a bit of dressing over the salad to give it a hint of flavor and serve the rest on the side.
Want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family? The Pioneer Woman’s Top Cooking Tips for Easier Weeknight Dinners will help you get started.