Ham and Cheese Loaf
- serves 4 - 6
Soft bread filled with Cheddar and ham.
1 1-lb loaf frozen bread dough
Nonstick cooking spray
All-purpose flour, for dusting
½ lb(s) shaved Virginia ham
½ lb(s) Irish Cheddar or other white Cheddar, grated
1. Thaw the bread dough overnight, then bring to room temperature before rolling (but don't let it rise).
2. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the bread dough into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. When rolling, if the dough springs back, cover with a dry towel and let it rest for 5 minutes.
4. Shingle the ham slices onto the dough, leaving a 1/4 inch of exposed dough on all sides. Sprinkle with the cheese and roll the dough into a large log, pinching together the seam and tucking the ends under to seal completely.
5. Place the log, seam-side down, in the prepared loaf pan and bake until golden brown and cooked through and the internal temperature is 200ºF, for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
6. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Remove from the pan. Slice and serve.