Kale-Pasta Mason Jar Salad
- prep time15 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
Bowtie pasta, kale, tomato and mozzarella come together in a mason jar for a fun, portable lunch.
8 oz bowtie pasta (farfalle)
¼ cup pine nutsDressing
1 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsleyKale
1 ½ bunches kale
4 oz Parmesan, shaved
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperAssembly
3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
8 oz small mozzarella balls
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and add to a bowl. Set aside.
2. Add the pine nuts to a small skillet over low heat. Toast slowly over the course of 3 to 4 minutes, tossing regularly. Remove from the skillet and set aside.Dressing
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and garlic over low heat so that the garlic slowly infuses the oil, about a minute. When the garlic begins to sizzle, stir it around so it doesn't get too brown. When the garlic starts to turn golden, add the salt and pepper and stir; set aside for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes, pour the oil mixture (scraping out the salt, pepper and garlic) into a small mason jar. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, basil and parsley, put the lid on and shake it.Kale
1. Finely slice 1 bunch of the kale. Set the same skillet (without cleaning it) over medium-high heat. Add the sliced kale and cook until partly wilted, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then add the Parmesan shavings and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Finely slice the remaining 1/2 bunch kale and set aside.Assembly
1. Start by pouring 1/4 cup dressing into each quart-size mason jar, followed by 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 1/4 cups pasta, 1 tablespoon pine nuts, 1/2 cup cooked kale with Parmesan, 8 to 9 mozzarella balls and, finally, 1/2 cup sliced raw kale. Put the lids on the jars and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Special equipment: 4 quart-size mason jars and 1 pint-size mason jar