Mixed Berry Shortcake
- prep time15 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 8
Individual shortcakes made with sweet biscuits, mixed berries, and a yogurt cream.
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt
1 ½ sticks (12 tbsp) cold butter, cut into pieces
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
1 Tbsp vanilla extractBerries
2 pts mixed berries, (including strawberries)
⅓ cup granulated sugar
Zest and juice of 1 small orangeSweet Yogurt Cream
1 cup cold heavy cream
7 oz plain Greek yogurt
½ cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
2. Add the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt to the bowl of a food processor (or a large bowl). Add the butter pieces and pulse until the butter is completely cut into the flour mixture (or use a pastry cutter if using a bowl). Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a measuring cup and while pulsing (or stirring) the dough, drizzle in the buttermilk mixture until the dough just comes together and is no longer crumbly.
3. Drop the mixture in 8 clumps between 2 baking sheets, then bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool completely.Berries
2. Wash the berries, slice the strawberries and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle on the granulated sugar, then add the orange zest and juice. Stir gently, then set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to allow a syrup to develop.Sweet Yogurt Cream
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream, yogurt, granulated sugar and brown sugar on high until stiff. (Note: It won't get quite as stiff as regular whipped cream.)
2. To serve, lay one biscuit on a plate, top with syrupy fruit, then top with a good spoonful of cream.