Prosciutto Spinach Party Wheels
- prep time75 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 36
These pinwheels are perfect as an afternoon snack, pre-dinner appetizer or party hors d'oeuvres.
Courtesy of Alison Kent.
8 oz (250 mL) spinach leaves, trimmed
2 square sheets (each 10-inch/25 cm) puff pastry, thawed
¼ cup (50 mL) Dijon mustard
½ cup (125 mL) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ cup (50 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
8 large thin slices prosciutto
1. In saucepan over medium-high heat, add spinach with just the water clinging to leaves; cover and simmer until wilted, 1 or 2 minutes. Drain and let cool; squeeze out excess liquid and chop.
2. Working with 1 piece at a time, on lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Spread half of the mustard to within ½-inch (1 cm) of edge. Arrange half of the prosciutto in single layer overtop, followed by half of the spinach. Sprinkle with half of both cheeses.
3. Lightly brush border with bit of water. Starting at one side, roll up firmly, pinching along seam to seal. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
4. Remove plastic wrap. Using serrated knife and trimming ends, cut crosswise into ½-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Place on greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven until golden and puffed, 12 to 15 minutes.