Loaded with pecans, this Southern classic will make you beg for seconds.
– 1 cup dark brown sugar
– 2/3 cup golden syrup (corn syrup)
– 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
– 1 tablespoon corn starch
– 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
– 3 large eggs
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 1/2 – 2 cups pecans, chopped
– single pie dough (thawed from frozen, or home made)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line a pie tray with frozen pie dough or thaw store-bought dough.
2. In a large saucepan, heat brown sugar, golden syrup, butter and corn starch until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until it has frothed. When the boiled syrup has slightly cooled, beat in the eggs, salt, and cream. Stir in pecans and mix until evenly distributed.
3. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is just set (a toothpick inserted into the center of the pie should come out clean.)
(If you find the edges of the pie crust are over-browning during baking, cover with foil.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.
Madalina Paul is the blogger behind Duhlicious, a food blog dedicated to creating and sharing unique and original recipes for great tasting food and featuring tutorials, food news, and culinary adventures.