Packed with all the components of a classic chicken Caesar salad pressed between bread — can you really ask for more? Maybe just a side of fries or salt and vinegar chips, otherwise, nope!
This is my version of a Caesar salad turned delicious sandwich. To really take it to the next level, the ciabatta bread is treated and toasted as garlic bread before all the fixings get layered inside. Garlic and parsley compound butter is generously spread over the bread and toasted under the broiler until crispy and fragrant. Don’t be afraid of colour on the bread…believe in the char! It adds a deeper flavour that goes really well with the smooth avocado and creamy Caesar dressing spread.
This is a great recipe for the grill too. Prepare the components ahead of time, then grill the chicken and the bread and let everyone assemble their own sandwich. If you’ve had it once, I feel like you will be making this again.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
For the Caesar dressing spread:
1 clove garlic
2 anchovy fillets
1 egg yolk
3 Tbsp grated parmesan
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and fresh black pepper to taste
For the garlic compound butter:
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1lb (454g) boneless skinless chicken breast
Salt and fresh pepper
1 loaf Ciabatta
4 to 6 romaine heart leaves
1 avocado, sliced
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
Shaved or grated parmesan
For the Caesar dressing spread:
1. Place the garlic, anchovy fillets, egg yolk, parmesan, lemon juice, Dijon and Worcestershire into a blender or food processor.
2. Blend until smooth and combined.
3. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the blender/processor is going to emulsify the oil into the spread.
4. Season with salt and fresh pepper to taste.
For the garlic butter:
1. Combine the softened butter with the garlic, chopped parsley and salt. Set aside.
For the grilled chicken:
1. Slice the chicken into 2 or 3 thin fillets per breast by slicing into it as if you were to butterfly the breast and then just continue to cut through so you have 2 thinner fillets. If the chicken breast is thick enough you can get 3 out of it!
2. Pound each fillet with a mallet until about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Season the fillets on both sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
4. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
5. Oil the grill and sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
For the garlic Ciabatta bread:
1. Heat the broiler on to high and place a rack in the upper third of the oven.
2. Cut the ciabatta open and spread the garlic butter on both halves. Use it all!!
3. Place the buttered ciabatta onto a sheet pan and broil on high for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and slightly charred.
1. Spread the Caesar dressing over the garlic bread.
2. Layer the romaine on the bottom half of the sandwich.
3. Place the grilled chicken on top of the romaine and then top with the sliced avocado, hard boiled eggs, and tons of shaved or grated parmesan. TONS!
4. Top the sandwich with the other half of the garlic bread and cut into 4 servings.