Avocado, Roasted Squash and Black Bean Tacos
- serves 4
These delicious vegetarian tacos are filled with colourful ingredients and garnished with fresh cilantro, hot sauce and lime.
1 butternut squash, approx. 1.3 kg/2.9 lbs
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper
2 tsp sumac (or paprika)
½ Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 can (540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chili powder
8 - 10 corn tortillas
1 avocado from Mexico, diced
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
Fresh cilantro, hot sauce and lime quarters, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Peel the squash and cut it in two. Remove the seeds and stringy fibres, and dice the squash.
2. Arrange the squash pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sumac or paprika. Roast for 25 minutes.
3. In a small saucepan, sauté ½ tbsp olive oil and the minced garlic over low to medium heat. Add the black beans, ground cumin, chili powder, salt and ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the beans are well heated and soft (but not dry).
4. In a hot pan, heat the tortillas for a few minutes, or microwave them for 20 seconds. Cover with a clean cloth to prevent them from drying out.
5. Top the tortillas with roasted squash, black beans, avocado and feta. Serve with fresh cilantro, hot sauce and lime quarters.
Courtesy of AvocadosFromMexico.ca