3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling foil
12 oz sweet italian sausage, casings removed (about 3 links)
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
15 oz container whole-milk ricotta cheese (about 2 cups)
1 large egg
¼ cup milk
½ cup packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
¾ cup grated parmesan
1 lb(s) block whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 4 cups)
12 flat no-boil lasagna noodles (7-by-3.5-inches each)
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450ºF.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl with a slotted spoon and reserve the drippings in the pan.
3. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic to the pan. When the garlic begins to brown at the edges, about 1 minute, add the tomatoes with their juices, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 8 minutes.
4. Mix the ricotta, egg, milk, basil, 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl. Spread 2/3 cup of the tomato sauce across the bottom of an 18-by-13-inch sheet pan. Next, space out 6 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce, turning them to fit so there are 2 noodles across and 3 noodles down. (The noodles will expand when they cook.) Top the noodles with all of the ricotta mixture, all of the sausage, 2/3 cup tomato sauce, and half the shredded mozzarella. Add another layer of 6 lasagna noodles and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan.
5. Lightly oil one side of a large piece of foil. Cover the pan with the foil, greased side down. Bake until the noodles are tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is very crusty and brown, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Food Network Kitchen.
Copyright 2016 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.