Apple Crumble Parfait
- serves 8
1 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp nutmeg
light brown or demerara sugar, for sprinklingFruit
10 cup diced apple such as Granny Smith, Spy or Mutsu
1/2 lemon, juiced
⅓ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamonCustard
1 cup half and half cream
3 Tbsp sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp calvadosAssembly
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For topping, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg to combine. Add to butter mixture and combine just until blended. Wrap and chill until firm. With cheese grater, grate crumble topping onto a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.Fruit
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. For fruit, toss diced apples with lemon juice in a 10-cup baking dish, then add sugar and cinnamon. Bake fruit for 1 hour minutes, until apples are tender.Custard
1. Bring cream just below a simmer over moderate heat. In a bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks. Slowly pour hot cream over sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until sauce coats the spoon, about 4 minutes. Strain and stir in calvados or brandy. Chill completely before serving. Makes about 1 cup.Assembly
1. To assemble, whip cream with sugar to medium peaks.
2. Layer baked apples, crumble topping, custard and lightly sweetened whipped cream in parfait glasses and serve.