BBQ B.C. Salmon with Beets and Asparagus
- prep time15 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 2
Courtesy of Chef Tim Cuff of West Oak.
1 bunch baby red beets, tops removed
1 bunch baby gold beets, tops removed
2 clove garlic, skin on
2 sprig rosemary
30 mL high-quality balsamic
50 mL extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, cut in half
1 bunch asparagus
2 (6-oz) pieces fresh wild line-caught B.C. spring salmon or sockeye salmon, scaled and pin bones removed
salt and pepper
1. Make 2 tin foil pouches and place golden beets in one pouch and red beets in other. In each pouch, add 15 mL of olive oil, 1 sprig of rosemary, 1 shallot and garlic clove. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Seal pouch and place on top rack of BBQ. Cook for 1 hour, flipping every 10 minutes to prevent beets from burning.
3. Remove beets from grill and cool for 6 minutes. Beets will be tender and skin will be crispy.
4. While beets cook, place 2 lemon halves on grill and cook for 3 minutes until charred and sweet. Set aside.
5. Remove salmon from fridge 30 minutes before beets are ready and let temper. Lightly oil salmon and asparagus, and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon skin down on one half of BBQ and asparagus on the other half. Cook salmon and asparagus for 3 minutes on each side.
6. In a bowl, empty beet pouches and mix. Arrange cooked vegetables on plate and drizzle with balsamic. Place salmon and grilled lemon on top, and enjoy!