- prep time 0 min
- total time 125 min
- serves 8
2 ½ cups basmati rice
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons salt
3 cardamom, pods
2 star anise
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken, thighs, cubed
3 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon curry paste
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup plain full fat yoghurt
1 cup whipping creamGarnish
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup slivered blanched almonds
½ cup cashew
2 onion, sliced
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
2 green hot pepper, seeded, and, minced, (such as jalapenos)
½ cup milk
2 teaspoons saffron
¼ cup butter, meltedPreparation
1. In large bowl, rinse rice with cold water; drain.
2. In large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat.
3. Cook drained rice for 3 minutes.
4. Add stock, salt, cardamom, star anise and cinnamon; bring to a boil.
5. Cover and reduce heat, simmer for about 15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
6. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Set aside.Chicken
1. In large deep skillet or Dutch oven heat half the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken pieces, in batches if necessary. Remove to plate.
2. Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add onions and cook stirring often for about 10 minutes or until golden.
4. Add garlic, ginger, salt, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, curry paste, paprika and cayenne.
5. Return chicken to pan, with half the yogurt and cream.
6. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally.
7. Add remaining yogurt and cream; turn off heat. Set aside.Garnish
1. In large skillet heat half the oil over medium heat.
2. Cook almonds and cashews for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
4. Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat.
5. Add onions, cook, stirring for 15 minutes or until well browned. Set aside.
6. In small bowl, combine mint, peppers and half of the milk.
7. In small saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat.
8. Add saffron, remove from heat and soak for 15 minutes.Preparation
1. In large 20 cup (5 L) deep casserole dish, brush inside with half of the butter.
2. Layer half the rice mixture into casserole, smoothing top.
3. Drizzle with mint mixture.
4. Spread with chicken mixture.
5. Top with remaining rice mixture, packing slightly.
6. Drizzle with saffron mixture and remaining melted butter.
7. Cover and bake in 300 degree F (150 degree C) oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
8. Garnish with almonds, cashews and onions.