Bite-Sized Blooming Onions
- prep time30 min
- total time 60 min
If you build them, they will come.
2 lbs pearl onions, peeled and sectioned
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying (2L if in pot; 3L if in deep fryer)Onion Dip
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne
Pinch salt and pepper
1. Cut onions into eighths, vertically, but not cutting all the way through.
2. Press gently on the onion to separate the sections.
3. Mix together buttermilk and eggs.
4. Toss onions into the buttermilk mixture and let soak for 5 – 10 minutes.
5. Mix flour, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, parsley flakes, and cumin powder.
6. Take onions out of buttermilk mixture and dredge in dry mixture, making sure to get all the cracks of the onion coated.Onion Dip
1. Assemble dip ingredients and set aside.
2. Heat frying oil to 350ºF.
3. Fry onions for about 4 minutes until they are golden brown.
4. Remove onions from oil and let drain on a paper towel.
5. Serve with dipping sauce.
Courtesy of Chantal Payette