Directions for: Black Cod with Fennel and Leek Compote
tsp coarsely cracked black peppercorns
Tbsp Dijon mustard
Tbsp olive oil
Tbsp chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
bulb fennel, trimmed
x leeks, white and light green leaves, plus 1-inch dark leaves only
cup white wine
cup whipping cream
Tbsp lemon juice
(6 ounce) portions Alaskan Black Cod
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Combine peppercorns, mustard, oil and 2 tsp basil. Spread on cod. Season with salt.
3. Remove top and base of fennel, reserving a few fronds for garnish, and discard any browned leaves. Thinly slice remainder.
4. Thinly slice leeks.
5. Heat butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add vegetables and remaining 1 tsp basil and sauté for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add wine and cream, bring to boil and simmer for 1 minute or until sauce coats the vegetables. Stir in lemon juice. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Place vegetables on base of baking dish. Place fish on top.
7. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish is opaque and has just started to separate into flakes.
8. Serve fish on top of vegetables. Garnish with reserved fronds.