Bleeding Heart Scones
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 16
2 ½ cups flour
½ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup butter, at room temperature
⅓ cup whole milk
⅓ cup vanilla or fruit yogurt
⅓ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chunks
½ cup frozen raspberries (2 -3 raspberries for each scone)Icing
4 ounces plain cream cheese, at room temperature
½ stick butter, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
a few teaspoons milk or light cream to thin
more icing sugar for sprinkling
1. Prepare two cookie sheets with a silpat or parchment paper. Combine flour, sugars, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Work butter into dry ingredients with two knives or a pastry cutter or fork, until it is the size of small peas.
3. Combine milk, yogurt, egg and vanilla in a small mixing bowl. Add to dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Stir in white chocolate chips.
4. Turn dough out onto floured work surface and shape into a flat rectangle (no need to use a rolling pin, the dough is very pliable), about 12 " x 18" x 1". Cut out scones with a medium-sized heart-shaped cookie cutter, re-rolling scraps and repeating. Place scones on prepared baking trays and refrigerate for about an hour or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 375 F. Remove scones from refrigerator. Press at least two frozen raspberries into the top of each one. Bake scones, rotating pans halfway through, for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.Icing
1. Blend cream cheese and butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar and blend well. Mix in vanilla. Add milk a teaspoon at a time to thin to drizzling consistency. Sprinkle still warm scones with powdered icing sugar then drizzle icing over and serve.