Blueberry Dumplings with Creme Fraiche
- serves 6
Recipe courtesy, Jim Dodge, Bon Appètit at the Getty Center, Los Angeles.
4 cup fresh blueberries, preferably wild blueberries (1 litre)
2 cup water (500 ml)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)Dumplings
1 ½ cup all-purpose unbleached flour (375 ml)
2 tsp baking powder (10 ml)
½ tsp kosher salt (2 ml)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter (60 ml)
1 cup milk (250 ml)
1 cup crème fraîche (250 ml)
1. Adjust oven rack to the lowest level and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wash the berries in a bowl of cold water, remove any leaves or stems and drain well.
3. In a 2 ½ to 3-quart casserole with a tight fitting lid, stir together the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves. Add the berries and cover with the lid. Bake on the lower rack for about 30 minutes or until the filling gives off a little steam. While the filling is baking begin preparing the batter so that you are able to make the dumpling batter quickly.Dumplings
1. In a medium size bowl blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. Pour the milk into a small saucepan. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the milk. Warm over moderate heat until the milk is warm and the butter is almost completely melted. Turn off the heat and leave the mixture in the saucepan on the burner so that the milk stays warm and butter stays melted. Get ready in your workspace: a fork to mix with and two large oval soupspoons to form the dumplings.
2. When the blueberry filling is ready, remove the casserole from the oven, but do not remove the lid. With a fork, stir the milk mixture into the flour only until the milk has been absorbed. The batter should look lumpy and under mixed. Remove the lid from the top of the casserole and keep it close by. Drop large spoonfuls of the batter on top of the blueberry mixture forming first a circle and then filling in the center of the circle. The dumplings will sink a little. Return the lid to the top and place back into the oven.
3. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid until this baking time has elapsed. Remove from the oven and place on a rack. Remove the lid and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
4. Whip the crème fraîche until thickened.
5. To serve, spoon into soup plates and top with a dollop of cream fraîche.