- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 10
1 bay leaf
1 tsp black peppercorns
⅒ tsp mustard seeds
3 sprig parsley
3 sprig thyme
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium russet potato (3/4 pound), peeled, chopped
2 ½ cup chopped red cabbage (about 1/4 small head)
1 large onion, chopped
8 cup (or more) vegetable or chicken stock
6 2-inch-diameter beets, peeled and chopped
1 cup drained canned chopped tomatoes
1 Mutsu apple, peeled and grated
Rice wine vinegar, to taste
Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Sour cream, for garnish
Chopped fresh dill, for garnish
1. Wrap the bay leaf, peppercorns, mustard seeds, parsley, thyme sprigs and garlic in a piece of cheesecloth and tie it securely with a piece of string. This is called a bouquet garni.
2. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion and saute until cabbage softens, about 5 minutes.
4. Add vegetable stock, bouquet garni, beets, tomatoes and apple.
5. Bring soup to boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
7. Remove the bouquet garni.
8. Puree 4 cups of the soup in a blender and return to the pot so that the soup will still be chunky.
9. If desired, thin soup with more vegetable stock.
10. Add rice wine vinegar to taste and season with salt and pepper.
11. Ladle soup into bowls.
12. Top with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with dill.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site