Brioche French Toast with Maple Whiskey Sauce and Sour Cream Mousse
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
1 cup milk
⅓ cup cream
½ vanilla bean, pulp only
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices brioche loaf, 1 ½ inch thickness (recipe follows)
4 tablespoons unsalted butterFor the Brioche
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
¼ cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 vanilla bean, pulp onlyFor the Maple Whiskey Sauce
250 millilitres sugar
200 millilitres maple syrup
50 millilitres water
1 tablespoon cornstarch, diluted in a little water
4 tablespoons whiskey
½ cup toasted walnut piecesFor the Sour Cream Mousse
½ vanilla bean, pulp only
100 grams sour cream
100 millilitres heavy cream
½ gelatin leaf
icing sugar to taste
1. Place eggs, milk, cream, vanilla pulp, vanilla essence, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk until fully incorporated. Soak brioche slices for 1 minute in egg mixture, turning slices at least once so they will be evenly moistened.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large fry pan over medium heat melt butter. When butter is sizzling, remove the slices from the egg mixture and place in pan. Cook on one side until golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side until also golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices and arrange on a baking tray.
3. Place in oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked. Remove toast from oven.For the Brioche
1. In a small bowl, combine yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar in warm water. Place bowl near warm area and allow to dissolve. Beat eggs with remaining sugar. Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Pour in yeast. Using a dough hook, pour in eggs and beat until the dough is smooth. Slowly add butter (a little at a time), beating continually until all the butter is gone. Using a paddle attachment, continue to beat mixture until dough comes away from the side of the bowl.
2. On a floured surface, roll dough into a cylinder long enough to fit into a bread pan. Butter bread pan and place dough inside. With fingers press the dough down to take the shape of the pan and make flat on top. Place bread pan on baking sheet and put in a warm area to proof.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. When dough has risen ½ way up the bread pan, place in oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a dark golden brown.
4. Remove from oven and remove from bread pan. Allow brioche to cool on rack. When cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate it or freeze it if you are using it at a later date.For the Maple Whiskey Sauce
1. In a small saucepot bring sugar, water, and maple syrup to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in cornstarch. Place back on heat and while whisking continously, bring to a boil. Remove from heat when slightly thickened. Stir in whiskey and toasted walnuts. Remove from heat and allow to cool.For the Sour Cream Mousse
1. In a large bowl, whip heavy cream with icing sugar and vanilla pulp. Bloom gelatin leaf in water for 1 minute. Take ¼ of sour cream mix and lightly warm. Add gelatin leaf to warmed sour cream mix to dissolve. Quickly fold in remaining sour cream and whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.