Brownie Baked Alaska
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
4 cups ice cream, softened
1 ⅓ cups semisweet chocolate, chips
1 cup packed brown sugar
⅔ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa, powder
¼ teaspoon saltMeringue
4 egg, whites
1 pinch salt
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
⅔ cup super fine sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Grease 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan; line bottom with parchment paper.
3. In saucepan, melt together 2/3 cup (150 mL) of the chocolate chips, the sugar and butter over medium-low heat; let cool slightly. Vigorously whisk in eggs, 1 at a time; whisk in vanilla. Sift flour, cocoa and salt into saucepan; stir to blend. Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
4. Pour into prepared pan; bake in centre of oven for 40 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging. Let cool on rack. Peel off paper.
5. Place brownie on flat, round ovenproof baking dish or on board wrapped completely in double thickness of heavy foil. Mould ice cream to fit diameter of brownie, doming sides. Return to freezer until completely solid. (Make-ahead: Freeze for up to 8 hours.)Meringue
1. Fifteen minutes before serving and using electric beater; beat egg whites and salt together until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar in a thin stream, beating until peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry.
2. Spread thick layer of meringue all over ice cream and brownie base, making peaks and swirls with back of spoon. Immediately place in centre of 500ºF (260ºF) oven for about 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
3. Serve immediately.