Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- prep time 10 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 8
1 tablespoon (15 ml) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoon (0.5 ml) five spice powder
8 cups (2 L) butternut squash (about 1 large), peeled, seeded and diced
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, seeded and diced
1 Container (900 ml) chicken broth
½ cup (125 ml) apple juice, unsweetened
2 tablespoons (30 ml) golden brown sugar
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot set over medium heat, melt the margarine. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened for about 7 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the five spice powder over the onions, stir and cook 1 minute more. Tip: Five Spice Powder is used extensively in Chinese cooking and is available in Asian markets and most grocery stores.
3. Add in the squash, apple, broth and juice. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar.
5. Purée the soup, in batches, in a blender until smooth. Return soup to the pot and heat through before serving.