Calzone with Italian Sausage and Olives
- serves 6
1 package yeast
¾ cup lukewarm water (150 ml)
1 tsp salt (5 ml)
2 cup all purpose flour (500 ml)
¼ cup olive oil (60 ml)Filling
2 Tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 hot Italian sausages, casing removed
1 tsp dried oregano (5 ml)
1 cup tomato sauce (250 ml)
1 cup green olives, pits removed (250 ml)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup mozzarella cheese, finely grated (250 ml)
1 egg + 1 tbsp. water, whisked together (15 ml)Assembly
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Put the warm water in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Leave for 10 minutes, until it begins to foam. Put the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add oil to yeast mixture and then pour into the flour and mix until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and begin to knead the dough. Add more flour if it is too sticky. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 1½ hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down and divide dough into 6 equal balls. Roll loosely and sprinkle with flour. Cover with tea towel and let rest for half an hour.Filling
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté onion until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and the sausage. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until sausage is just golden. Add the oregano and tomato sauce and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on baking sheet to cool completely.Assembly
1. Roll each ball into a 6 inch round on lightly floured surface. Brush with egg wash. Divide filling between 6 rounds, spooning it onto the bottom half of each circle and being sure to leave a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese, fold top over and seal down with a fork.
2. Pierce a hole in top of each calzone and brush with remaining egg wash. Let rest 10 minutes before baking.
3. Bake on a parchment lined tray for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden and puffed. Cool on wire racks for at least 15 minutes before serving.