Chicken Soup with Dill Matzo Balls
- prep time10 min
- total time 100 min
Simplicity is key for matzo ball soup that warms your heart.
1 whole chicken, about 3 lbs
2 each onions and parsnips, peeled and cut into small chunks
4 sticks celery, cut into small chunks
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
½ cup each chopped parsley, dill (plus more for serving)
kosher salt and cracked black pepperDill Matzo Balls
1 cup matzo meal
1 tsp baking soda (omit if making for Passover), freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
¼ cup chopped dill
¼ cup vegetable oil or melted chicken fat
½ cup soda water
1. In a large pot, bring 16 cups of water to a boil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken and vegetables. Return to boil then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, skimming off foam and fat, for 1 hour. Add herbs and simmer another 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
2. Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove and dice meat. Return meat to pot. If not using immediately, cool soup completely. Refrigerate up to 1 week, or freeze up to 3 months.Dill Matzo Balls
1. In a large bowl, mix matzo meal, baking soda (if using), salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk eggs, dill and oil or chicken fat.
2. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir in soda water until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Take the mixture out of the fridge. With oiled hands, roll into 2-inch balls. Add to water, cover and turn down heat to low. Simmer until cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes.
4. While matzo balls are cooking, reheat soup. Ladle soup into warm bowls. Add one or two matzo balls. Sprinkle with chopped dill.