Coconut Shrimp Balls
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
¾ cup all-purpose flour (175 mL)
¼ cup cornstarch (60 mL)
½ teaspoon salt (2 mL)
¾ cup beer or gingerale (175 mL)Shrimp
1 pound shrimp (31-30 count) (500g)
½ cup cornstarch (125 mL)
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut (750 mL)
Vegetable oil for frying, about 4 cups (1 L)Sauce
½ cup apricot jam (125 mL)
¼ cup lime juice (60 mL)
½ teaspoon sambal (2 mL)
1 tablespoon minced ginger (15 mL)
1 kaffir lime leaf, cut into thin strips
1. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in beer, mixing to incorporate. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.Shrimp
1. Place shrimp in batter then coat with roll in cornstarch and coconut.
2. Fill frying pan with oil 1 ½ -inches (4 cm) deep. Heat oil until hot (about 350 degrees, 180 Celsius), or when the handle of a wooden spoon inserted into oil, has small bubbles rising around it. Fry coconut shrimp 1½ minute per side, until coconut is golden, and shrimps are pink and curled.
3. Drain on paper lined platter. Serve hot with dipping sauce.Sauce
1. Dipping Sauce: In a bowl, stir together apricot jam, lime juice, sambal, ginger and lime leaf.
2. Transfer to decorative bowl.