Duck Confit Pizza
- prep time 1 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 20
Recipe by Dustin Gallagher from Top Chef Canada Episode 11.
Top Chef Canada
1 ½ cup warm water
3 g dry active yeast
1 Tbsp salt
2 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for dustingMornay Sauce
¼ cup butter
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 ¼ cup whole milk
pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
1 ½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large Spanish onions, julienned
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 clove garlic, finely dicedAssembly of Duck Confit Pizza
Baked Pizza Dough
2 confited duck legs, store bought and shredded
10 sprig of thyme, leaves picked
1. Place warm water in a bowl, add yeast and stir. Set aside in a warm place until yeast is activated, approximately 10 minutes.
2. Place flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and add yeast mixture. Using a dough hook, knead until dough comes together and is elastic and smooth, approximately 5-8 minutes.
3. Form dough into a ball.
4. Dust top of dough with flour, place a clean, dry kitchen towel on top. Place in a warm spot until dough rises and doubles in size. Approximately 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 500F. Dust a clean dry surface with flour.
6. Punch dough, remove from bowl and roll into a ball. Divide into 25, 1 ounce pieces.
7. Using a rolling pin, or fingers, roll dough into individual pizzas, 3 inches around.
8. Dock with a fork, place on a tray dusted with flour. Bake in oven until cooked and slightly golden around edges. Approximately 5-8 minutes.
9. Remove and set aside for assembly of Duck Confit Pizzas.Mornay Sauce
1. Scald milk in a small pot over medium heat. Turn heat off.
2. Melt butter in another small sauce pan over medium heat.
3. Add flour to butter, whisk until smooth and mixture forms a paste- a roux. Cook flour over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Careful not to brown flour.
4. Gradually ladle warm milk into pot, whisking constantly.
5. Bring to a simmer, add nutmeg and stir. Remove from heat, add 1 cup of cheese, stir to incorporate.
6. Set aside and keep warm for assembly of Duck Confit Pizzas.Caramelized Onions
1. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add onions; reduce heat, season with salt and sauté until tender and caramelized. Approximately 30-45 minutes. Set aside for assembly of Duck Confit Pizzas.Crispy Garlic
1. Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium high heat. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium and sauté until golden and crisp. Careful not to burn.
2. Remove garlic from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towel.
3. Set aside for assembly of Duck Confit Pizzas.Assembly of Duck Confit Pizza
1. Spoon 1 tablespoon of Mornay Sauce on each baked pizza dough.
2. Spoon Caramelized Onions over, followed by shredded duck confit and shredded cheese.
3. Place in a 500F oven until cheese is bubbling and pizzas are hot for 3-5 minutes.
4. Garnish with Crispy Garlic and thyme. Serve.