Dusty's Korean Pulled Pork Tacos
Slow-cooked smoked pulled pork served with Korean BBQ sauce, Sambal mayonnaise and Korean slaw. Courtesy of Wolfgang Sterr of Whistler Blackcomb.
2 kg boneless pork shoulder
½ cup Dusty's Butt rub (other pork rubs optional)
½ cup Dusty's house BBQ sauce (other sauces optional)
1 cup apple juiceKorean BBQ Sauce
1 Tbsp gochujang (a Korean red pepper paste)
½ cup white sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sesame oilSambal Mayo
½ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
1 Tbsp garlic purée
½ each lemon juice
¼ each smoked jalapeno, seeds stem and pith removed
salt and pepper to tasteKorean Slaw
½ heads green cabbage, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
½ long English cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
½ cup green onion, chopped
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
½ Tbsp ginger powder
1 Tbsp white sugar
salt and pepper, to taste
1. To smoke – Rub the shoulder meat in 1/4 cup of dry rub.
2. Smoke (ideally with apple wood chips) for 14 hours or until it pulls apart easily.
3. Shred the entire shoulder into a large mixing bowl.
4. Toss the shredded meat in the remaining rub, BBQ sauce and apple juice.Korean BBQ Sauce
1. Whisk all ingredients together until sugar dissolves, keep refrigerated until service.Sambal Mayo
1. Mix all ingredients in well, taste and re-season.Korean Slaw
1. Whisk all ingredients until sugar dissolves.
2. Toss cabbage and all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl
3. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
4. Taste and re-season before serving.
5. Assemble the Korean pulled pork taco in either flour or corn tortillas. Enjoy!