Foie Gras with French Lentils, Truffles and Celery Cress
- prep time 1 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 6
Recipe by Rob Rossi from Top Chef Canada Episode 12.
Top Chef Canada
1 ½ cup lentils de puy
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
½ heads garlic, smashed
1 celery, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
4 sprig thyme, tied with butcher's string
6 cup roasted chicken stock
pan drippings reserved from Seared Foie Gras recipe
1 Tbsp butter
1 ½ Tbsp aged sherry vinegar
pepperSeared Foie Gras
6 3 oz pieces of foie gras
Seared Foie Gras
3 Tbsp black truffle, shaved, or 2 tbsp truffle oil
2 Tbsp chives, finely sliced
1 Tbsp parsley, chiffonade
¼ cup celery cress
1. To remove impurities, place lentils in a medium pot, cover with cold water, season with salt and bring to a boil, approximately 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a Le Creuset 2.9 Litre Sauté Pan over medium heat. Place carrot, onion, garlic and celery in pan and sauté until caramelized, approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. Add bay leaves, thyme, lentils and roasted chicken stock, stir and bring to a simmer.
4. Season with salt and pepper, cook until lentils are tender, approximately 10-12 minutes. Set lentils aside in pot.
5. Before serving, heat pot with lentils over medium-low heat. Add reserved pan drippings from Foie Gras recipe. Cook over low heat to develop flavours, approximately 3 minutes.
6. Add butter and sherry vinegar. Remove thyme and bay leaves. Set aside for serving.Seared Foie Gras
1. Heat a medium Le Creuset Iron Handle Skillet over high heat.
2. Season foie gras with salt and pepper. Place in hot pan, sear on both sides until golden, approximately 30 seconds per side.
3. Remove foie gras from pan and set aside for serving. Reserve pan drippings for Lentils recipe.Assembly
1. Spoon Lentils on a large platter, intended for family style plating.
2. Place Seared Foie Gras on top of Lentils.
3. Garnish with truffles (or truffle oil), chives, parsley and celery cress, serve.