Hearty Lentil, Pesto and Colby Soup
- prep time15 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4-6
This delicious lentil soup recipe is perfect for warming up on cooler nights. Brought to you by Dairy Farmers of Canada
1 Tbsp (15 ) butter
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
1 large carrot, diced
2 cup (500 ml) sodium-reduced vegetable or
1 can (540 ml) diced tomatoes
1 cup (250 ml) green cabbage, cut into pieces
1 cup (250 ml) green and/or yellow beans, cut into 1? (2.5 cm) lengths
1 can (540 ml) green lentils, rinsed
2 Tbsp (30 ml) homemade or store-bought pesto
1 ½ cup (375 ml) Canadian Colby, grated or diced
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat and brown onions, celery and carrot for 3–4 minutes.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, cabbage and beans.
3. Bring to a boil and let simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add lentils and pesto. Let simmer 5 more minutes.
5. Divide into bowls and garnish generously with Colby. Savour.