Hearty Vegetarian Chili
- prep time25 min
- total time 85 min
This hearty vegetarian chili is filled with beans, vegetables, herbs and spices, making it a go-to comfort food meal. Courtesy of The Burnt Tongue.
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
4 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 28-oz can tomatoes with juices
5 cup vegetable stock
1 28-oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen or fresh corn
splash maple syrup
1. Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, green pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are soft.
2. Add dried spices and cook for two minutes stirring constantly.
3. Add canned tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add kidney beans and corn, continue cooking for 15 minutes longer.
5. Take off heat, add maple syrup and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro, cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc.