Jerk Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- serves 0
YIELD: 10-12 Sandwiches
1 - 6 lbs. pork shoulder with fat cap (skin removed)
2 cup store bought jerk sauce
5 mangos peeled and thinly sliced
15 soft buns
12 cup apple wood chips (8 cups of these soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained)
¼ cup allspice berries dried
1. Place the pork on a tray and using a fork pierce it all over to tenderize the meat.
2. Pour the one cup of the jerk sauce over the pork and coat the meat completely. Reserve 1 cup (250ml) of the jerk sauce use as a basting sauce and to coat the meat when finished.
3. Cover marinated pork with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
4. The next day, prepare the smoke pouches. Allow 8 cups of wood chips to soak in water for 1 hour.
5. Remove the pork from the refrigerator and all it to come to room temperature.
6. Combine 2 cups of drained wet woodchips and 1 cup of the dry chips on a large piece of foil. Sprinkle in some dried allspice berries. Wrap the foil around the wood chips and berries to create a pouch. Using a fork, pierce the pouch all over to allow smoke to escape. Repeat steps to make 3 more pouches (4 pouches in total).
7. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking. Turn 1 burner on and remove the grill grate.
8. Slide a drip pan under the grates that are turned off. Place the smoke pouch directly on the burner.
9. Place the pork over the drip pan on the side of the grill that is turned off.
10. Close barbeque lid and adjust temperature to read 220°F (105°C).
11. Slow smoke pork for 5-6 hours or until the meat is soft when pressed. Replace the smoke pouch when smoke dissipates (approximately every 1- 1 ½ hrs) and baste occasionally with some of the reserved marinade.
12. Remove pork from barbeque and cover loosely with foil.
13. Let meat rest for 30 minutes before serving.
14. Slice the mango into thin slices and drizzle with lime juice.
15. Once meat has rested, pull the pork in shreds and place in a bowl. Add remaining cup (250ml) of jerk sauce and toss to coat.
16. Serve pulled pork on buns with fresh slices of mango and lime.