Kentucky Fried Quail with Vietnamese Slaw (KFQ)
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 6
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp minced ginger
2 Tbsp fish sauce
½ cup lime juice (125 ml)
½ cup rice wine vinegar (125 ml)
2 7/10 oz palm sugar, crushed (75 g)Vietnamese Slaw
1 Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
1 carrot, julienned
4 red shallots, finely sliced
1 bird’s eye chilli, seeded and finely sliced
1 bunch Vietnamese mint, picked
1 bunch thai basil, picked
1 bunch coriander, picked
3 ½ oz toasted peanuts (100 g)Kentucky Fried Quail
3 tsp ground coriander (15 ml)
3 tsp ground cumin (15 ml)
1 tsp turmeric (5 ml)
1 tsp cayenne (5 ml)
3 tsp sweet paprika (15 ml)
2 tsp salt (10 ml)
1 tsp five spice (5 ml)
2 tsp garlic powder (10 ml)
2 tsp onion powder (10 ml)
3 tsp ground Szechwan pepper (15 ml)
2 tsp ground white pepper (10 ml)
5 tsp cornstarch (75 ml)
6 jumbo quails
flour, for dredging
2 eggs, for egg wash
½ cup milk, for egg wash (125 ml) ( need 1 cup egg wash in total )
4 cup peanut oil (1 litre)
1. In a bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients well so to dissolve the palm sugar.Vietnamese Slaw
1. Toss all the slaw ingredients with the dressing in a large bowl. Let sit while the quail is cooking.Kentucky Fried Quail
1. Combine all the spices in a shallow pan or bowl. Set aside. Make the egg wash by whisking together eggs and milk in a shallow pan or bowl.
2. Bone out quails, leaving in the leg and wing bones, (alternatively, ask your butcher to do this for you).
3. Heat peanut oil in a small to medium saucepan or wok to a temperature of 350 degree F.
4. Dust quails lightly with flour, dip into egg wash and then dredge through the spice mix, coating well and evenly. Fry quails until crust is golden to dark brown and the quail flesh still slightly pink, about 3 to 4 minutes (or alternatively cook to your liking of doneness).
5. To plate, put a small mound of Vietnamese Slaw on the centre of each plate and top with a splayed whole fried quail.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site