3 large leeks (4 cups), halved length-wise, sliced across, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 links smoked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
4 -6 cups Swiss Chard , rinsed well, drained and coarsely chopped
4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 large carrot, grated
4 small new potatoes, grated
1 tin 540ml/ 18-20oz whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp dried Italian herb blend
1 tin 540 ml/ 18-20oz navy beans, drained (mostly to reduce salt. I would prefer to use dried beans soaked overnight (1 cup before soaking – they swell), but this is an option when there’s no time)
1. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté the leeks in oil
until they are soft and semi-translucent (8-10 minutes).
2. Add the chorizo and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add the Swiss Chard and stir several times until the leaves
are wilted. If it gets too dry add a bit of broth so the leeks
won’t scorch. (5 minutes). Add the grated carrot (and potatoes,
if using) and tomatoes.
4. Add the vegetable broth and seasonings, cover and simmer
over medium low heat for at 20 minutes but longer is better.
Everything just really absorbs the flavors.
5. Add the beans and continue to simmer for at least 20