Leek, Swiss Chard & Chorizo Soup
- prep time 15 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 8
3 large leeks (4 cups), halved length-wise, sliced across, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 links smoked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
4 -6 cups Swiss Chard , rinsed well, drained and coarsely chopped
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 large carrot, grated
4 small new potatoes, grated
1 tin 540ml/ 18-20oz whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb blend
1 tin 540 ml/ 18-20oz navy beans, drained (mostly to reduce salt. I would prefer to use dried beans soaked overnight (1 cup before soaking – they swell), but this is an option when there’s no time)
1. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté the leeks in oil until they are soft and semi-translucent (8-10 minutes).
2. Add the chorizo and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add the Swiss Chard and stir several times until the leaves are wilted. If it gets too dry add a bit of broth so the leeks won’t scorch. (5 minutes). Add the grated carrot (and potatoes, if using) and tomatoes.
4. Add the vegetable broth and seasonings, cover and simmer over medium low heat for at 20 minutes but longer is better. Everything just really absorbs the flavors.
5. Add the beans and continue to simmer for at least 20 minutes. Truthfully, I put this up in the morning and leave it all day on the lowest heat. Then it’s ready whenever we are for supper. Serve with some crusty bread (multigrain if you’re doing South Beach Diet ) and a simple salad.