Lobster Dumplings in Soy Milk Froth
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
3 cups soy milk
2 fresh vanilla pods
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 stalk stalk lemongrass, roughly chopped
2 ounces ginger, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 leek, roughly chopped
¼ cup tamarind water (available in Chinese supermarkets)
1 tablespoon of fish sauce (available in Chinese supermarkets)
1 teaspoon sugar
Juice of one lime
Salt and pepper to seasonThe Lobster Dumpling
¼ cup red bean paste or adzuki bean paste
4 tablespoons super fine sugar
1 ounce palm sugar
1 ½ cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup boiling water
24 ounces uncooked lobster meat
¼ cup scallion, diced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt and pepper to season
1. Place the soy milk in a small stock pot and bring to a low boil.
2. Split open the vanilla pods, scrape the vanilla beans out with a knife, and add to the soy milk.
3. Add the kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, leek, tamarind water, fish sauce, and sugar. Continue at a low boil for 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
4. Strain and add the lime juice, then set aside.The Lobster Dumpling
1. Combine the bean paste with both types of sugar.
2. Sift the rice flour into a bowl and stir in approximately 3/4 cup of boiling water. Be careful in handling the dough, as it will be very warm. Dust your hand with remaining rice flour for ease of handling.
3. Roll the dough into a cylinder-like shape.
4. With a knife cut the dough 'cylinder' into 2 inch pieces.
5. With a rolling pin flatten the dough balls into flat round pieces approximately 3 inches in diameter.
6. Mix the lobster meat with the scallions, sesame oil, and the bean paste and sugar mixture, season with salt and pepper.
7. Begin to stuff 1 ounce of lobster stuffing into the center of the flat rounds and close by crimping the top of the circle to the bottom of the circle overlapping one crimp to the next. Your dumpling should take on a half-moon shape once you are finished.
8. Proceed until all the lobster meat is finished.
9. Set up your steamer, and while you are waiting for the water to boil place your soy milk on low heat.
10. Once your steamer is boiling rapidly place the dumplings in and steam for 4 to 5 minutes.
11. Once your dumplings are cooked, buzz the soy milk with the stick blender until froth appears.
12. Spoon the froth over the dumplings and serve.