Morning Glory Bran Muffins
- prep time20 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 12
Courtesy of Kellogg's® All-Bran®
1 ¼ cup (300 ml) All-Bran Original* cereal
1 cup (250 ml) milk (1%)
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
⅓ cup (75 ml) lightly packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
¼ cup (50 ml) canola oil
¾ cup shredded carrot (about 1 large carrot)
½ cup (125 lm) raisins
¼ cup (50 ml) chopped, unsalted almonds
¼ cup (50 ml) roasted sunflower seeds
⅓ cup (75 ml) sweetened shredded coconut, dividedTip
1. In medium bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand for about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
3. Add egg, oil and carrot to cereal mixture; beat well. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring only until just combined. Fold in mixture of raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds and ¼ cup (50 mL) coconut. Portion batter evenly into 12 (2½”/6.5 cm) non-stick muffin pan cups, lightly coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each with portion of remaining coconut.
4. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.Tip
1. You can substitute about 1 cup (250 mL) of your choice of chopped dried fruits and nuts if you don’t have raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds and coconut on hand. These ingredients - along with the bran - contribute dietary fibre, which is part of a healthy diet.