- prep time25 min
- total time 65 min
Mulligatawny is a curry-flavoured soup in Anglo-Indian cuisine and often contains chicken, beef or lamb, though this recipe is vegetarian. Courtesy of The Burnt Tongue.
2 oz olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
2 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili flakes
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
6 cup vegetable stock
4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
2 pinch saffron
1 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
½ cup cream
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1. Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook for 4 minutes.
2. Add sugar, garam masala, coriander, turmeric and chili flakes. Continue cooking spices for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and reduce for 10 minutes.
4. Add the stock, potatoes and saffron and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Puree half the almonds and add to soup along with the cream. Cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. Adjust seasonings.
6. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with remaining almonds and cilantro.