Northern Thai Chicken Curry, Jasmine Rice and Salad
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
1 ½ cup jasmine or basmati rice (325 mL)
3 cup water (750 mL)
1 tsp sesame oil (5 mL)
1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 Tbsp red curry paste (30 mL)
1 Tbsp curry powder (15 mL)
½ cup light coconut milk (125 mL)
¼ cup tomato paste (75 mL)
2 Tbsp fish sauce (30 mL)
2 Tbsp demerara brown sugar (30 mL)
2 medium tomatoes, cut into large wedges
1 bunch cilantro
Bagged Spinach salad with all the toppings and dressing
Dressing of choice
1 Fried shallots or onions (in a bag from the ethnic food section of the grocery store)
1. Cover and microwave rice and water on high for 10 minutes, then medium 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in fry pan or wok.
3. Cook chicken.
4. Stir in curry paste and curry powder to evenly coat chicken.
5. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, cover frying pan and simmer until chicken is no longer pink.
7. Stir the coconut milk, tomato puree, fish sauce, palm sugar, and 1/2 the tomato wedges into the frying pan.
8. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
9. Mix in the remaining tomatoes, and continue cooking until tender.
10. Rinse cilantro and set aside in a tall glass or bowl.
11. Put salad directly into salad spinner. Rinse and spin dry. Serve with dressing of choice.
12. Serve curry over rice.
13. Each person can top with cilantro and the fried shallots to their liking.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site