Orchard Fruit Danish
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 18
tsp instant dry yeast
⅔ cup 2% milk
¼ cup water, just above body temperature
¼ cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp fine salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into large pieces and chilledFilling:
½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup sugar
2 Tbsp sour cream
½ tsp vanilla
3 apricots, halved and pitted
3 plums, halved and pitted
12 sweet cherries, halved and pitted
OR any other fruit choice
1 egg mixed with 2 Tbsp water for egg wash
1. Whisk yeast, milk, water, sugar and egg and set aside. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine flour and salt. Cut the butter into the flour by mixing on medium-low speed for 30 to 45 seconds – there should be quite a few large bits of butter visible. Pour in yeast mixture and mix just until dough comes together. Place dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a long rectangle. Brush excess flour off of top of dough and fold into three. Turn dough 90° and roll out again into a long rectangle. Bring short edges in to meet each other and then fold in again (so that dough sits in 4 layers). Turn 90° again and repeat rolling and folding into three. Wrap and chill dough for at least 2 hours.
3. For filling, beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out Danish dough into a rectangle about ½-inch thick. Cut squares with a pastry wheel about 4 –inches across and place 1-inch apart on a parchment-lined baking tray. Cut a 1 ½ -inch slit from the corner of each edge into the center. Spoon a tablespoonful of cream cheese into center of each square and top with fruit of your choice (half an apricot or plum, or 6 cherry halves). Bring one point from each corner of pastry square over fruit and pinch together – this should make a pinwheel. Let rise uncovered for 45 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 °F and brush Danishes with egg wash. Bake for 25 minutes, until a rich golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.